Saturday, June 20, 2009

Sotomayor's diabetes

Inspired by Charlie's Sotomayor comic below, I'd like to cheer her success in dealing with type 1 diabetes for 46 years. I've had type 1 diabetes (or T1) since 1973, and my spirits were lifted when I learned of hers on the morning of her nomination.

She's the first T1 to rise to such a level of accomplishment. Lots of reasons for that. There are only about 2 million T1s in the U.S., less than 1% of the population. It's also a time-consuming and difficult disease to manage, and few are as successful as she has been at maintaining good health for the long time necessary to build a stellar legal career and to be considered for the Supreme Court.

She's really an inspiration to lawyers who have T1. I wish her great success and a long life.

She's also inspired some good comics, like Charlie's and this one, which also made me laugh: Tom the Dancing Bug (Ruben Bolling)

1 comment:

Charles Fincher said...

Good post,Jeff, on the insulin-dependent T-oners. I hadn't known that Sotomayor has diabetes. Nice to see people with a serious medical issue living out successful lives. Decades ago this wasn't always possible. I had a cousin die in a diabetic coma in her early 20s.